Welcome to I-Support. This policy explains how we handle and use your personal information and your rights in relation to that information. Under data protection law, I-Support is the controller of that information and responsible for its use and protection. As we operate a platform that allows our members to run fundraising projects and reach out to others for funding, those members may also be separately legally responsible for the use of your information in connection with those projects.
I-Support (we, our or us) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We take your privacy seriously.
This policy describes the way we handle and use the personal information that we obtain from all the different interactions you may have with us as an organisation, including when you visit our offices, social media pages or website currently located at www.i-support.org.uk or when you contact us or take part in any of our competitions or promotions.
We, I-Support, are the controller in relation to the processing activities. This means that we decide why and how your personal information is processed. Please see the section at the end of this policy for our contact and legal information.
2. How and when we collect personal information about you
We receive personal information about you that you give to us, that we collect from your use of our site and social media pages and that we obtain from other sources. We only collect personal information which we need and that is relevant for the purposes for which we intend to use it.
Personal information that you give to us
- This is personal information about you that you give to us when:
- submitting personal information via our site;
- following us, interacting with us and posting on our social media pages including our Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn pages;
- participating in surveys for research purposes;
- corresponding with us by phone, email or in another way;
This information is provided by you entirely voluntarily. This includes information provided on the site at the time of registering as a donor, donating to a project on the site or cancelling a donation and when generally using our site.
If we do not receive this information, you may be unable to register with the site, donate funds to a campaign, communicate with us effectively or allow us to comply with our own obligations
Information that we automatically collect about you:
- details of your visits to our site, including, but not limited to traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, and the resources you access;
- technical information, including anonymous data collected by the hosting server for statistical purposes, the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or device to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform. Please see our Cookies for further information;
- details regarding when and how you consented to receive marketing communications from us (including the time and date you provided your consent).
We may also view any personal information which you allow to be shared, such as the information you upload to the site and information you share on third party social networks.
When you visit our social media pages we collect:
- the information you post on those pages;
- information regarding your interactions with the content we post;
- statistical information regarding all our followers’ activities (but from which we cannot identify you as we only have access to this information in aggregated form).
Personal information we may receive from other sources:
We may obtain certain personal information about you from other sources (including those outside of our organisation) which may include our suppliers and our clients. The third parties that may send us personal information about you are as follows:
- Our funding partners – We may receive your personal information from our funding partners if you have indicated to them that you would like us to contact you about funding opportunities.
- Social media networks – We may view your social media profile registration data where you choose to register with our Site using your existing social media profile and log-in details
We do not knowingly collect personal information about children or personal data that is ‘sensitive data’ from a legal perspective or that relates to criminal convictions or offences.
3. Categories of personal information we use about you
We process different types of personal information about you to allow us to provide our services to you effectively. This information consists of:
- Behavioural information for marketing purposes including your activities, actions and behaviours
- Contact details which can be used to address, send or otherwise communicate a message to you
- Billing information used to send/receive funds to/from you
- Fraud information relating to the occurrence, investigation or prevention of fraud
- Identity information that verifies your identity including formal identification documents or unique identification numbers linked to you
- Legal information relating to legal claims made by you or against you or the claims process
- Fundraising information relating to your donations and fundraising
- Marketing Preferences in respect of any marketing communications from us from time to time in relation to products or services which we believe may be of interest to you
- Correspondence information contained in our correspondence or other communications with you about projects and other activities on our Site, our services or our organisation
4. Use of your personal information
We use your personal information for a variety of reasons. We rely on different legal grounds to process your personal information, depending on the purposes of our use and the risks to your privacy. You will only receive unsolicited marketing communications from us if you have consented and can opt-out of receiving them at any time.
We use your personal information in the following ways:
Where you have provided clear consent, we may use and process your personal information where you have consented for us to do so to contact you via email with marketing information about our campaigns, funding opportunities and business. You may withdraw your consent for us to use your information in any of these ways at any time. Please see Your rights over your personal information for further details.
Where necessary for us to carry out our activities, we will use your personal information where this is necessary for us to perform our contract with you or to carry out any steps so that you can enter into that contract, for the following purposes:
- to register and set you up as a member on our site;
- to publish details of your donations (unless you choose to pledge anonymously), your campaigns and the rewards you wish to offer;
- to process your donations and share your details with our payment processors so that payments can be made from you;
- to share your personal information with our funding partners to obtain funding for your campaigns;
Where necessary to comply with our legal obligations, we will use your personal information to:
- to keep a record relating to the exercise of any of your rights relating to our processing of your personal information;
- to perform anti-money laundering and related checks where the law requires these;
- to anonymise, pseudonymise and destroy your personal information in accordance with our retention policies and data protection law;
- to handle and resolve any complaints we receive relating to the services we provide.
Where necessary for us to pursue a legitimate interest, we may use and process your personal information where it is necessary for us to pursue our legitimate interests as an organisation for the following purposes:
- Processing necessary for us to promote our organisation, brand and activities and measure the reach and effectiveness of our campaigns for analysis and insight conducted to inform our marketing strategies, and to enhance and your visitor experience;
- to tailor and personalise our marketing communications based on your attributes;
- to supply your details to social media and other online platforms operated by other companies for them to contact you with our targeted advertising online, unless you object. You may receive advertising based on information about you that we have provided to the platform or because, at our request, the platform has identified you as having similar attributes to the individuals whose details it has received from us;
Processing necessary for us to support our programmes with their enquiries to respond to correspondence you send to us and fulfil the requests you make to us.
Processing necessary for us to operate the administrative and technical aspects of our organisation efficiently and effectively
- to administer our site and our social media pages and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, testing, statistical purposes;
- for the prevention of fraud and other criminal activities;
- to verify the accuracy of data that we hold about you and create a better understanding of you as an account holder or visitor;
- for network and information security in order for us to take steps to protect your information against loss or damage, theft or unauthorised access, including to archive, destroy, pseudonymise or anonymise your personal information;
- to comply with a request from you in connection with the exercise of your rights (for example where you have asked us not to contact you for marketing purposes, we will keep a record of this on our suppression lists in order to be able to comply with your request);
- for efficiency, accuracy or other improvements of our databases and systems, for example, by combining systems or consolidating records we hold about you;
- to enforce or protect our contractual or other legal rights or to bring or defend legal proceedings;
- to inform you of updates to our terms and conditions and policies; and
- for other general administration including managing your queries, complaints, or claims, and to send service messages to you.
Marketing communications: If you give your consent, we may use your personal information to contact you by email to send you newsletters or to notify you with details of campaigns, services and competitions or from carefully selected partner organisations. We try to adapt any marketing material that we send to you, for example by notifying you of campaigns that apply to your interests and in your location. If you do not wish to receive email communications from us, please inform us by using the unsubscribe link inside the email messages we send or by changing your Profile settings from within your account.
If you opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us, we keep your email address on our suppression list for a defined period to ensure that we comply with your wishes.
5. Disclosure and sharing of your personal information by us
We only disclose and share your personal information outside our organisation in limited circumstances. If we do, we will put in place a contract that requires recipients to protect your personal information, unless we are legally required to share that information. Any contractors or recipients that work for us will be obliged to follow our instructions. We do not sell your personal information to third parties.
When we use Suppliers, we only disclose to them any personal information that is necessary for them to provide their services and only where we have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information safe and secure.
6. Security and links to other websites
We take the security of your personal information seriously and use a variety of measures based on good industry practice to keep it secure. Nonetheless, transmissions over the internet and to our site may not be completely secure, so please exercise caution. When accessing links to other websites, their privacy policies, not ours, will apply to your personal information.
We employ security measures to protect the personal information you provide to us, to prevent access by unauthorised persons and unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage. When we have provided (or you have chosen) a password or pin allowing you access to certain parts of the site, you are responsible for safeguarding it and keeping it confidential and you promise not to allow it to be used by third parties. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do everything possible to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information during its transmission to us online. You accept the inherent security implications of using the internet and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless we are at fault.
In addition, if you linked to our site from a third party website, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party website and recommend that you check the policy of that third party website.
7. The periods for which we retain your personal information
We will not hold your personal information in an identifiable format for any longer than is necessary for the purposes for which we collected it. For certain purposes we retain your personal information for a very short period whilst for others we retain it for a period of 7 years after the information is no longer required for business reasons so that we can deal with any legal proceedings that could arise.
8. Your rights in relation to your personal information
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information under data protection law. In relation to certain rights, we may ask you for information to verify your identity and, where applicable, to help us to search for your personal information. Except in rare cases, we will respond to you within 30 days after we have received this information or, where no such information is required, after we have received full details of your request. You have the following rights, some of which may only apply in certain circumstances:
- To be informed about the processing of your personal information.
- To have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed. The accuracy of your information is important to us and we make it easy for you to review and correct the personal information that we hold about you in your Profile. If you change your name or address/email address, or you discover that any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, you can let us know by contacting us in any of the details described at the end of this policy but we ask you to first check that you cannot correct your details using the tools in your Profile.
- To object to processing of your personal information; Where we rely on our legitimate interests as the legal basis for processing your personal information for particular purposes, you may object to us using your personal information for these purposes by emailing or writing to us at the address at the end of this policy. You may object to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes and we will automatically comply with your request. If you would like to do so, please use our unsubscribe tool.
- To withdraw your consent to processing your personal information; Where we rely on your consent as the legal basis for processing your personal information, you may withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us using the details at the end of this policy. If you withdraw your consent, our use of your personal information before you withdraw is still lawful.
- To restrict processing of your personal information; You may ask us to restrict the processing your personal information in the following situations: where you believe it is unlawful for us to do so, you have objected to its use and our investigation is pending or you require us to keep it in connection with legal proceedings.
- To have your personal information erased; In certain circumstances, you may ask for your personal information to be removed from our systems by emailing or writing to us at the address at the end of this policy. Unless there is a reason that the law allows us to use your personal information for longer, we will make reasonable efforts to comply with your request.
- To request access to your personal information and information about how we process it; You have the right to ask for a copy of the information that we hold about you by emailing or writing to us at the address at the end of this policy. We may not provide you with a copy of your personal information if this concerns other individuals or we have another lawful reason to withhold that information. If you wish to make a Subject Access Request (SAR) please send an email to email@example.com We will then, in adherence with the ICO guidelines, respond to your request.
- To electronically move, copy or transfer your personal information in a standard, machine-readable form;
Please check this page regularly for changes to this policy. We will email you with changes if we hold a valid email address for you
We may review this policy from time to time and any changes will be notified to you by posting an updated version on our site and, where appropriate, by contacting you by email. We recommend you regularly check this page for changes and review this policy each time you visit our Site.
10. Contact and legal information
You can contact us with your queries in relation to this policy or for any other reason using our webform or by post or email.
To contact us in relation to this policy, including to exercise any of your rights in relation to your personal information, please contact us or write to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
I-Supports The Needy is registered as a charity number 1192885 and registered office address is 65 Twenty Acres Road, Bristol, Avon, United Kingdom, BS10 6PP.